Golden Birdwing: India’s Largest Butterfly | UPSC
Why In The News ?
- Recently, a Himalayan butterfly known as GoldenBirdwing (Troides aeacus) has been discovered as India’s largest butterfly after 88 years.
- Himalayan GoldenBirdwing butterfly named as India’s largest butterfly, a record an unknown specimen had held for 88 years.
- The female GoldenBirdwing with 194 mm wingspan was recorded at Uttarakhand’s Pithoragarh district’s Didihat town, while the male GoldenBirdwing with 106 mm wingspan was recorded at the Wankhar Butterfly Museum (in Shillong).
- The new measurements of this and 24 other species of butterflies were published in the latest issue of Bio notes, a quarterly newsletter for research on life forms.
- Shristee Panthee of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences in Yunnan and Peter Smetacek of the Butterfly Research Centre at Bhimtal in Uttarakhand are the authors of the study.
About Golden Birdwing :
- A Himalayan butterfly named GoldenBirdwing is now India’s largest after 88 years.
- Golden Birdwing is larger than the Southern Birdwing, which was earlier considered to be the largest.
- The females (Golden Birdwing) are larger than the males.
- While the female Golden Birdwing was recorded from Didihat in Uttarakhand, the largest male was from the Wankhar Butterfly Museum in Meghalaya capital Shillong.
Which is the 2nd biggest butterfly in India?
- Troides minos, the southern birdwing, also called Sahyadri birdwing, is a large and striking swallowtail butterfly endemic to south India.
- With a wingspan of 140–190 mm, it is the second largest butterfly of India.
Where is Golden Birdwing butterfly found?
- While the female GoldenBirdwing was recorded from Didihat in Uttarakhand, the largest male was from the Wankhar Butterfly Museum in Meghalaya capital Shillong.
Which butterfly is named as India’s largest butterfly?
- GoldenBirdwing butterfly