Sitana Dharwarensis Fan-Throated Lizards | UPSC | Why In The News ?
New species of fan-throated lizard discovered in northern Karnataka, Bagalkot district
Name is derived from the Dharwar craton, a piece of the Earth’s crust that dates back to 2–3 billion years ago
About Sitana Dharwarensis Lizard :
- Sitana is a genus of lizards Also known as the fan-throated lizards.
- They Are from the family Agamidae.
- They are found in Nepal, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
- The genus comprises fourteen species, including several recently discovered species, such as two new species from Sri Lanka.
- In 2016, a new genus named Sarada was erected, consisting of one former Sitana species and two newly described ones.
- Sarada is the sister genus of Sitana.
- Together they form a clade which sister group is Otocryptis.
Key Highlights : Sitana Dharwarensis Fan-Throated Lizards | UPSC
|Also Known As With Other Name||
|Body & Size||