The Branded Royal Butterfly | UPSC | Explained | Why In The News ?
Rare butterfly documented in the Nilgiris after more than a century
About Royal Butterfly
- The Branded Royal (Tajuria melastigma) is a rare butterflys of lycaenid species.
- It was last recorded in the Nilgiris in 1888 by G.F. Hampson and there is only one other record in Tamil Nadu.
- It is found in the Indo-Malayan realm i.e. in India, Assam, Burma and Thailand.
- The Branded Royal is very rarely seen in India, with only four or five records in existence i.e. in the Nilgiris, Dindigul and two in Kerala and Karnataka.
- It is legally protected in India under Schedule II of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
Key Facts : Ypthima Watsoni Butterfly | UPSC | IUCN Status
|Family Belong To||