Dhanu Jatra | Why In The News ?
Why in the News?
- The famous 11-day long ‘Dhanu Jatra’, considered as the largest open-air theatre of the world begins at Bargarh in western Odisha.
About Dhanu Jatra :
- The Jatra is based on the mythological story of Lord Krishna and his demon uncle King Kansa.
- It is about the episode of Krishna and Balaram visiting Mathura to witness the Dhanu ceremony organized by their (maternal) uncle King Kansa.
- Dhanu Jatra is the annual drama based open-air theatrical performance celebrated in and around Bargarh city is considered to be the world’s largest open-air theatrical festival that finds a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- The play starts with the dethroning of the emperor Ugrasena by the angry prince Kansa, over the marriage of his sister Devaki with Basudeba, and ends with the death of Kansa, and Ugrasen restoring back to become the king.
- There is no written script used in these enactments.
- During this festival Kansa can punish people with penalty for their mistakes.
- The department of Culture of the Government of India has accorded National Festival status to Dhanu Yatra on November 2014
Read More – Aadi Mahotsav UPSC
Questions And Answers Based On This topic :
Q 1. DhanuJatra is currently celebrated in which state?
- West bengal
- Uttar Paradesh
Q2 – DhanuJatra Is Based On Mythology Story of The _
- Ram And Ravan
- Ugrasen And Kansh
- Krishana And Kansh
- Basudeba And Kansh
Q3 – In Which Year Dhanu Jatra Festival Was Awarded National Fastival Status ?