Gandhi Peace Prize | UPSC | Winners List 2021 With Full Details – The Culture Ministry on Monday announced that the father of the nation of Bangladesh Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the former Sultan of Oman, the late Qaboos bin Said Al Said, will be awarded the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2020 and 2019 .
About the Gandhi Peace Prize:
- Gandhi Peace Prize is an annual award instituted by Government of India since 1995, the 125th Birth Anniversary commemoration year of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The award is open to all persons regardless of nationality, race, language, caste, creed or sex.
- The award carries an amount of Rs. 1 crore, a citation, a plaque and an exquisite traditional handicraft/ Hand loom item.
- The prize can be given to individuals, associations, institutions or Organizations.
- It can be divided between two persons/institutions who are considered by the Jury to be equally deserving of recognition in a given year.
- It is open to all persons regardless of nationality, creed, race or sex.
Selection Committee: The jury chaired by the Prime Minister and other members are the Chief Justice of India, the leader of the single largest Opposition party in the Lok Sabha, Lok Sabha Speaker and founder of Sulabh International.
Suez Canal Crisis UPSC | Background & Latest Updates With Map & Quiz
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman:
- He was known as Bangabandhu. Also regarded as “Jatir Janak” or “Jatir Pita“ (both meaning “Father of the Nation”) of Bangladesh.
- He was born on 17th March 1920 in Tungipara, India (now in Bangladesh) and passed away on 15th August 1975 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Year 2020 marked the birth centenary of Bangabandhu.
- He was a Bengali leader who became the first prime minister of Bangladesh (1972–75) and later became the president of the same in 1975.
- He began his formal political career in 1949 as a co-founder of the Awami League.
- He played a crucial role in advocating political autonomy for East Pakistan, the detached eastern part of Pakistan (now Bangladesh).
- He was chosen for Gandhi Peace Prize 2020 in recognition of his outstanding contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violent and other Gandhian methods.
- He was a champion of human rights and freedom, and is a hero to Indians as well.
Qaboos bin Said Al Said:
- He has been the Arab world’s longest-serving ruler.
- He ruled Oman for almost half a century.
- In 1970, with the help of British, Qaboos overthrew his father in a bloodless coup, emerging as the Sultan at age 29.
- He was a visionary leader whose twin policy of moderation and mediation in addressing international issues won him praise and respect across the globe.
- He was also the architect of the special ties between India and Oman.
- He had studied in India and always maintained a special relationship with India.
- The Gandhi Peace Prize 2019 recognises his leadership in strengthening the ties between India and Oman and his efforts to promote peace in the Gulf region.
Gandhi Peace Prize Year-Wise [1995-2020]
|Year||Awardees of Gandhi Peace Prize|
|1995||Dr.Julius K.Nyerere, former President of Tanzania|
|1997||Dr. Gerhard Fischer of Germany|
|1998||RamaKrishna Mission (India)|
|1999||Baba Amte (Murlidhar Devidas Amte) (India)|
|2001||Dr. John Hume, Ireland|
|2002||Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan|
|2004||Coretta Scott King|
|2005||Archbishop Desmond Tutu, South Africa|
|2013||Chandi Prasad Bhatt|
|2015||Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari|
|2016||AkshayaPatra Foundation and Sulabh International [Jointly]|
|2018||Shri Yohei Sasakawa|
|2019||Qaboos bin Said Al Said|
|2020||Sheikh Mujibur Rahman|
Gandhi Peace Prize Questions And Answers For UPSC Exam
1. Who has been awarded the Gandhi Peace Prize 2019?
- Ekal Abhiyan Trust
- Qaboos bin Said Al Said
- Yōhei Sasakawa
- Mujibur Rahan
2.Who has won the Gandhi Peace Prize 2020?
- Father of South Africa
- Father of Sri Lanka
- Father of Bangladesh
- Father of Indonesia
3.Choose the correct statements about Gandhi Peace Prize from those listed below:
- It was started as a biannual practice on the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
- It has been given posthumously to people collectively for the first time for years 2019, 2020
Choose The Correct Answers From Options Given below .
- Only i
- Only ii
- Both i and ii
- None of the above