Project BOLD | UPSC | Why in The news ?
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) on planted 1000 bamboo saplings at Tanot village in Jaisalmer, in collaboration with the Border Security Force (BSF).
About Project Bold :
- Project BOLD was launched on 4th July 2021.
- It Was Launched from a tribal village Nichla Mandwa in Udaipur district in Rajasthan with plantation of 5000 saplings of special bamboo species over 25 bigha of arid land
- Bamboo plantation, as part of KVIC’s Project BOLD (Bamboo Oasis on Lands in Drought)
Bamboo Variety Used :
- Bambusa Tulda and Bambusa Polymorpha from Assam
Aim Of Project Bold :
- Aim of Project Bold Is To reducing desertification and providing livelihood and multi-disciplinary rural industry support to the local population.
Significance of Project :
- In the next 3 years, 1000 bamboo plants will multiply and produce at least 4,000 bamboo logs weighing about 100 MT of bamboo.
- At the current market rate of Rs 5000 per ton, this bamboo produce will generate an income of nearly Rs 5 lakh after three years and later on every year, thus supporting the local economy.
Read Also – Black Carbon Particles Contribute To Increasing COVID-19 Cases | UPSC
Reason for Selecting Bamboo:
- It grows very fast and in about three years’ time, they could be harvested.
- It is also known for conserving water and reducing evaporation of water from the land surface, which is an important feature in arid and drought-prone regions.
Uses Of Bamboo :
- Bamboo can be used for making agarbatti sticks, furniture, handicraft, musical instruments and paper pulp while the bamboo waste is widely used in making charcoal and fuel briquette.
- Bamboos are also known for conserving water and hence useful in arid and drought-prone regions.
About Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) :
- It is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
- It is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programmes for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
- It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.