Singal Crystal Components UPSC | Uses | Manufacturing | Quiz – Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed single crystal blades technology and supplied 60 of these blades to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as part of their indigenous helicopter development program for helicopter engine application.
Singal Crystal Components UPSC | Uses | Manufacturing | Quiz
- It is part of a program taken up by Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL), a premium laboratory of DRDO, to develop five sets (300 in number) of single crystal high pressure turbine (HPT) blades using a nickel-based super alloy.
- Helicopters used in strategic and defence applications need compact and powerful aero-engines for their reliable operation at extreme conditions.
- To achieve this, state-of-the-art Single Crystal Blades having complex shape and geometry, manufactured out of Nickel based superalloys capable of withstanding high temperatures of operation are used.
- Very few countries in the world such as USA, UK, France and Russia have the capability to design and manufacture such Single Crystal (SX) components.
- Special ceramic composition had to be formulated for making strong ceramic moulds which can withstand metallostatic pressure of liquid CMSX-4 alloy at 1500°C and above during casting operation.
Important Keywords From This Topic
Questions Based On The Single Crystal Components
|Q1- Which of The Following Organization Developed Singal Crystal Components Based Blade
|Q2 – Single Crystal High Pressure Turbine Blade Are Used In
Source – The Hindu, Indian Express