KRI Nanggala 402 UPSC | Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV) – KRI Nanggala (402) was a diesel-electric attack submarine of the Indonesian Navy, one of two Cakra-class submarines, and uses a Type 209 design. On 21 April 2021, it went missing in deep waters north of Bali during a SUT torpedo drill. Nanggala was ordered in 1977, launched in 1980, and commissioned in 1981. The boat conducted intelligence gathering operations in the Indian Ocean and around East Timor and Nunukan. It was a participant of the international Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training naval exercise, and has conducted a passing exercise with USS Oklahoma City. The boat underwent a major refit in 2012.
KRI Nanggala 402 UPSC | Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV)
Why In News ?
- On 21 April 2021, it went missing in deep waters during a SUT torpedo drill north of Bali.
- KRI Nanggala (402) is a diesel-electric attack submarine of the Indonesian Navy, one of two Cakra-class submarines (Type 209 design).
- The boat is named after the Nanggala, a divine and powerful short spear that was owned by Prabu Baladewa (the elder brother of Kresna), a recurring character in wayang puppet theatre.
National Hydrogen Energy Mission UPSC | Features | Objective | Analysis
Deep submergence Rescue vessel (DSRV)
- India is amongst the few countries in the world capable of undertaking search and rescue of a disabled submarine through a DSRV.
- Indian Navy’s DSRV system can locate a submarine up to 1,000-metre depth utilising its state-of-the-art side scan sonar and remotely operated vehicle.
- After the submarine is successfully located, another sub module of DSRV — the submarine rescue vehicle (SRV) — links with the submarine to rescue the trapped personnel.
- The SRV can also be used to provide emergency supplies to the submarine.
World Press Freedom Index UPSC 2021 | India Ranking |
Important Facts For UPSC Prelims | KRI Nanggala 402 UPSC
|Deep submergence Rescue vessel (DSRV)|
|Sonar Technology And Its Uses|
|KRI Nanggala (402) belong To Which Country – Indonesia|