Minervarya Pentali | UPSC | Why In The News ?
The new frog species, Minervarya Pentali, was discovered from the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot, extending along the southwest coast of the Indian Peninsula.
About Minervarya Pentali:
- Minervarya Pentali is a new frog species from the genus Minervarya.
- It is also among the smallest known Minervarya frogs.
- The species was discovered from the Western Ghats.
- The species is endemic to the southern Western Ghats.
- The species has been named after former DU Vice-Chancellor and plant geneticist Deepak Pental.
Read Also : Systomus Gracilis | UPSC
- Minervarya is a genus of frogs in the family Dicroglossidae.
- The identity and taxonomic status of all known members of this genus are from Peninsular India.
Frog as Bio-indicators:
- Since frogs absorb water directly through their skin, they’re especially vulnerable to water pollutants like pesticides and acid rain.
- Frogs are considered “indicator species,” because they are the first to be affected by degradation of the environment.
|The Western Ghats :