Somnath Temple | UPSC | Why In The News ?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is chosen as the new chairman of the Somnath Temple trust which manages the Somnath Temple at Prabhas Patan town in Gujarat’s GirSomnath district, becoming the second PM to hold the post.
About Somnath Temple | UPSC
- The Somnath temple (also known as the DeoPatan) is located in Prabhas Patan on the western coast of Gujarat.
- It is believed to be the first among the twelve jyotirlinga shrines of Shiva.
Read Also – Somnath Temple | UPSC
- The present temple is built in the Chalukya style of temple architecture or “Kailash Mahameru Prasad” style.
- This style is sometimes called the Vesara style and Chalukya style.
- It reflects the skill of the Sompura Salats, one of Gujarat’s master masons.
- The temple’s sikhara, or main spire, is 15 metres in height, and it has an 8.2-metre tall flag pole at the top.
- The temple’s entrance has gallery exhibits of photos telling the tale of the ancient temple’s ruins, renovations and excavations.
- The temple in its interior has a Garbha Griha with the Jyotirlinga enshrined in it, a Sabha Mandap or assembly hall and a Nritya mandap.
- The ceiling is made out of loadstone and is decked with exquisite water color paintings.
Troubled History Of Somnath Temple:
- In AD 1026, Mahmud of Ghazni first looted the temple
- Then came Afzal Khan, the commander of Ala-ud-din Khilji and later Aurangzeb Who Also looted This Temple .
- It is said that the temple was looted and destroyed as many as seventeen times.
- The Iron man of India, SardarVallabhbhai Patel was instrumental in the construction of the present temple.
- Renowned temple architect Prabhas Chandra designed it
- The first President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad installed the Jyotirling in the new temple on May 11, 1951.
Chalukya or Vasara Style of Temple architecture
- The Vesara style (Western Chalukyas in the late 10th-century) contains elements of both Dravida and Nagara styles.
- They have Northern Indian Style of Shikhara and Mandap was designed in Southern Indian Style.
- Shikhara and Mandap are joined by the Antarala.
- These temples do not have ambulatory passageways around Sanctum Sanctorum.
Examples: Ladkhan Temple at Aihole, DoddaBasappa Temple at Dambal.
Somnath Temple MCQ | Quiz For Practice
Question 1 : The Somnath temple is characterized by which style of architecture?
- Nagara Style
- Hemadpanti Style
- Chalukyan Style
- Kalinga Style
Question 2 : Arrange the correct chronology of Mahmud invasion?
- Invasion on Somnath
- Invasion on Kalinjar
- Invasion on Mathura & Kannauj
- Invasion of Thaneshwar
- Battle with Anandpal
Choose The Correct Answer From Option Given Below :
- IV, V, III, I, II
- I, II, III, IV, V
- V, IV, III, II, I
- V, I, III, IV, II
Question 3 : Who was the ruler of Gujarat when Mahmud invaded the Somnath temple?
- Gand Chandel
Source : The Hindu