Suranga Bawadi | UPSC | Why In The News ?
Suranga Bawadi on World Monument Watch list
About Suranga Bawadi :
- Suranga Bawadi which is situated in Bijapur Karnataka has entered the World Monuments Watch List under ―Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau of the World Monument Funds.
- It is an integral part of the ancient Karez System of supplying water through subterranean tunnels.
- It was built by Adil Shah-I of Adil Shahi dynasty of Bijapur in the 16th century to supply water to Vijaypura in Karnataka.
Dholavira UNESCO World Heritage Site | UPSC | Quiz & Ans
About World Monuments Fund:
- World Monuments Fund(WMF) is a private, international, non-profit organization founded in 1965.
- It is headquartered in New York, USA.
- It is dedicated to the preservation of historic architecture and cultural heritage sites around the world through fieldwork, advocacy, grantmaking, education, and training.
About World Monuments Watch:
- The World Monuments Watch is a global program launched in 1995 by the World Monuments Fund.
- It aims to identify imperiled cultural heritage sites and provide direct financial and technical support for their preservation.
- It is a biennial selection program of at risk cultural heritage sites that combine great historical significance with contemporary social impact.
- It is a nomination-based program that uses cultural heritage conservation to empower communities and improve human well-being.
About Karez System:
- Karez is a water harnessing technology in which groundwater is brought to the surface by a tunnel.
- In this system,no mechanical pump or lift is used.
- Gravity alone brings the water from the underground source.
- The Karez is found in 38 countries worldwide and most of these are concentrated in the Middle East region.
- Persia is known for the earliest known and documented Karez system.