Marib UPSC | Battle Of Marib | Places In News For UPSC – Yemen’s Houthi rebels have taken full control of the northwest Kassara battlefield, advancing close to the centre of Marib city despite heavy casualties.
- Marib is the capital city of Marib Governorate, Yemen.
- It was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Sabaʾ which some scholars believe to be the ancient Sheba of biblical fame.
- It is located in the region of the Sarawat Mountains.
- Marib and its surrounding oil fields make up the last significant pocket of government-held territory in the north, the rest of which is under rebel control, including the capital Sanaa.
- The loss of Marib would be a major blow for the Yemeni government and for Saudi Arabia which has supported its militarily since March 2015, after the rebels captured Sanaa.
Marib UPSC | Battle Of Marib | Places In News For UPSC
- The Houthis officially called Ansar Allah, is a Zaidi tribal political movement that emerged from and is based around Sa’dah in northern Yemen under the leadership of Hussein Badreddin Al-Houthi.
- They developed in the 1990s and have been fighting the central government on and off since 2004.
- They Are seeking an end to economic under-development, political marginalization and perceived discrimination in Zaidi areas, along with sought greater autonomy in areas where they are predominant.
- The Houthis opposed the Government in the 2011 Yemeni Revolution but rejected the Saudi sponsored deal proposed by the GCC
- In 2014–2015 Houthis took over the government in Sana’a, which led to the fall of the Saudi Arabian-backed government of Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi .
- Houthis and their allies gained control of a significant part of Yemen’s territory and are currently resisting the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen seeking to restore Hadi to power.
- The Zaidi sect is an offshoot of the Shia religion.
- There is concern on the Shia roots with the Saudis, although allegations that they are supported by Iran are generally considered to be over stated.
Source : The Hindu