India Digital Ecosystem of Agriculture ( IDEA ) | UPSC | Explained | Why In The News ?
Government is in the process of finalising ‘India Digital Ecosystem of Agriculture (IDEA)’ which will lay down a framework for Agristack
GS Paper 3: Indian Agriculture- e-technology in the aid of farmers;Technology missions.
- Agricultural GDP: accounts for about 15.9 % of the country’s US$ 2.7 trillion economy (2018-19).
- Employment: Provides 49% of total employment in India (2018-19).
- AgriStack will create “a unified platform for farmers to provide them end to end services across the agriculture food value chain.
- It is a collection of technologies and digital databases that focuses on farmers and the agricultural sector.
- AgriStack will create a unified platform for farmers to provide them end to end services across the agriculture food value chain.
- It is in line with the Centre’s Digital India programme, aimed at providing a broader push to digitise data in India, from land titles to medical records.
- The government is also implementing the National Land Records Modernisation Programme (NRLMP).
- Under the programme, each farmer will have a unique digital identification (farmers’ ID) that contains personal details, information about the land they farm, as well as production and financial details.
- Each ID will be linked to the individual’s digital national ID Aadhaar.
- “National Agri Data Stack” that can serve as a foundational data layer on which “agri focussed solutions” will be built.
- A ‘national agriculture geo hub’, will provide the required GIS tools and technologies and create and collate farmer and other agriculture data services on GIS platform.
Read Also : List of Bird Sanctuaries In India With Map | UPSC
Objectives of India Digital Ecosystem of Agriculture (IDEA)
|National Digital Agriculture Ecosystem :
- To build a National Digital Agriculture Ecosystem, to elevate Indian Agriculture Sector to higher levels of efficiency and productivity
- To improve the welfare and income of farmers.
|Increasing farmer’s income:
- Through access to right information at the right time, and from innovative services.
- It will help in doubling farmers income by 2022.
|Ensuring sync between various planning and execution :
- Ensuring sync between various planning and execution of policies, programs, and schemes of the Central and State governments, and, also of the private sector and Farmers Producer Organizations (FPOs).
|Efficient use of Resources :
- Efficient use of resources including land, water, seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and farm mechanization by providing easier access to information.
|To Provide Location Specific Service :
- To provide location-specific and personalized extension services across agriculture lifecycle, with simultaneous protection of privacy of personal data.
|To Build Capacities :
- To build capacities: across the gamut of digital agriculture and precision agriculture.
|Promote R & D :
- Promotes R&D and Innovations: in agriculture through access to high-quality data.
Pilot projects by private players (approved by the agriculture ministry):
|MOU with Microsoft:
- It requires Microsoft to create a ‘Unified Farmer Service Interface’ through its cloud computing services.
MoU with Star Agribazaar:
- Mentions ‘farmer data sanitisation’, land profiling and crop estimation using remote sensing along with building a generalised advisory platform for farmers, including mobile applications, for pre- and post-harvest advisories.
MoU with Patanjali:
- Talks about developing a mobile application for advising farmers on soil nutrition, accurate quantification on farmer crop and yield, fertiliser recommendations, and training farmers for using this application.
MoU with Amazon Internet Services:
- To build a “National Agri Data Stack” that can serve as a foundational data layer on which “agri focussed solutions” will be built.
Esri India MoU:
- To discusses how the company will support the ministry in establishing a ‘national agriculture geo hub’, provide the required GIS tools and technologies and create and collate farmer and other agriculture data services on GIS platform.