UPSC Exam Pattern 2021 | Prelims | Mains | Personality Test – UPSC CSE 2021 is a three-tier Exam. There will be a preliminary examination followed by the main examination. Candidates who qualify for the main examination will go through a series of interviews.
Overview of IAS Exam Pattern
|Name of the exam||Civil Services Exam- IAS|
|Conducting authority||Union Public Service Commission|
|Mode of exam||Offline|
|Number of Stages||Prelims
|Number of papers||Prelims: 2
|Prelims marking scheme||Paper 1: +2 marks per question
Paper 2: +2.5 marks per question
Negative marking: One-third of marks allotted to each question
|Duration||Prelims: 2 hours (Each paper)
Mains: 3hours (Each paper)
|Type of Questions||Prelims: Objective type
Mains: Subjective type
|Posts||900-1000 approximate (Tentative)|
IAS Exam Pattern of Prelims 2021
|Number of Papers||2- General Studies and Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT)|
|Number of Questions||Paper 1- 100; Paper 2- 80|
|Question Paper Type||Multiple Choice Questions|
|IAS Prelims Total Marks||400|
|Nature of Exam||Qualifying|
|Exam Duration||2 hours each, +20 minutes for blind students|
|Exam Language||English and Hindi|
Marking Scheme of Prelims
- Firstly, for every question in the paper, 1 is 2 marks. So, the question paper is a total of 200 marks.
- Secondly, every question in the Civil Service Aptitude Test carries 2.5 marks. So, the question paper is a total of 200 marks.
- Also, for every wrong answer by the student, 0.33 marks will be deducted i.E. 0.66 will be deducted from paper 1 and 0.83 marks will be deducted from paper II.
- But, there is no negative marking from Q74 – Q80 because these are decision-making questions.
- Moreover, if the candidate gives more than 1 answer, then it will be considered as wrong even if one of them is right.
- However, if there is no penalty then no negative marking will be done.
UPSC CSAT Syllabus 2021 | CSAT General Ability Test Paper 2 Syllabus
IAS Exam Pattern for Mains 2021
|Paper||Title of the Paper||Marks Allotted|
|Paper 1||Essay writing||250 Marks|
|Paper 2||General Studies–I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History, and Geography of the World and Society)||250 Marks|
|Paper 3||General Studies –II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250 Marks|
|Paper 4||General Studies –III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250 Marks|
|Paper 5||General Studies –IV (Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Paper 6||Optional Subject – Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Paper 7||Optional Subject – Paper 2||250 Marks|
|–||Sub Total in the written Test||1750 Marks|
|–||Personal Interview||275 Marks|
|–||Grand Total ( for merit calculation)||2025 Marks|
Marking Scheme of Mains 2021 Exam
- IAS mains is an offline exam. There are a total of 9 papers in the Mains exam.
- Every paper is of 3 hours and extra 30 minutes extra is given to blind students.
- Paper A and Paper B are 300 marks each and the remaining papers are 250 marks each.
- On the other hand, the main exam is divided into 2 parts qualifying and merit exam. And it is compulsory to sit in for all the exams to go into the stage.
Moreover, questions will be subjective.
- And you can write in either Hindi or English language
- Total Marks Of Mains Exam – 1750
UPSC Prelims Syllabus 2021 Explained In Full Details In Table Format
UPSC Exam Pattern 2021 | Prelims | Mains | Personality Test