Operation Sagar Aaraksha II UPSC | UPSC Current Affairs & Quiz – Indian Coast Guard (ICG), in coordination with Sri Lankan authorities, has been tirelessly engaged in fighting a major fire onboard the Chemical laden container vessel MV X-Press Pearl anchored off Colombo since 25 May 2021.
Operation Sagar Aaraksha II UPSC | UPSC Current Affairs & Quiz
- The coordinated joint operation between India and Sri Lanka undertaken to respond to potential environmental danger has been christened as SagarAaraksha-II.
- Indian Coast Guard ships, including the specialised pollution response vessel SamudraPrahari and offshore patrol vessel Vajra are standby in vicinity to respond to the developing situation.
- The ICG being an active member of South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP) remains committed to its responsibility of safeguarding of the ocean environment in the region.
International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG)
- The vessel when caught with fire was carrying 1486 containers containing chemical cargo classified as International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG).
- Among other chemicals, the IMDG cargo consisted of highly inflammable Nitric Acid, Methanol, Methyl Acetate, Sodium Hydroxide and Polystyrene beads.
South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP
- SACEP is an inter-governmental organization, established in 1982 by the governments of South Asia.
- The objective is to promote and support protection, management and enhancement of the environment in the region
- Member countries include Afghanistan , Bangladesh , Bhutan , India , Maldives , Nepal , Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- SACEP acts as the Secretariat for the South Asian Seas Programme, which comes under the purview of UNEP’s Regional Seas Programme.
- SACEP supports the national government’s efforts for environmental protection and sustainable development.
- Since its creation, SACEP has implemented a number of projects and programs in the areas of environmental education, environment legislation, biodiversity, air pollution, and the protection and management of the coastal environment.
- SACEP is also the secretariat for the South Asian Seas Programme.