Dharma Chakra Day | UPSC | Why In The News ?
Recently, Dharma Chakra Day was celebrated by the International Buddhist Confederation (IBC), under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture.
About Dharma Chakra Day :
- This day commemorates Buddha’s First Sermon to his first five ascetic disciples at the Deer Park, Isipatana in the present day Sarnath near Varanasi, UP.
- This is also celebrated by Buddhists all over the world as the day of Dharma Chakra Pravartana or ―Turning of the Wheel of Dharma‖.
- This day is observed as Guru Poornima by both Buddhists and Hindus as a day to mark reverence to their gurus.
Some Additional Information :
- Dhammachakra Pravartan Din or Dhammachakra Pravartan Diwas is a Buddhist festival in India.
- This is the day to celebrate the Buddhist conversion of B. R. Ambedkar and his approximately 600,000 followers on 14 October 1956 at Deekshabhoomi, Nagpur.
Why is Dharma Chakra celebrated?
- It commemorates Buddha’s first sermon to his first five ascetic disciples at the Deer Park, Rsipatana in the present day Sarnath near Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The day is also celebrated by Buddhists all over the world as the day of Dharma Chakra Parvattana or “Turning of the Wheel of Dharma”
Who is the founder of Dharma Chakra?
- When Gautama Buddha achieved enlightenment at Bodh Gaya, he came to Sarnath.
- There, he found his five disciples Assaji, Mahānāman, Kondañña, Bhaddiya and Vappa, who had earlier abandoned him.
- He introduced his first teachings to them, thereby establishing the dharmachakra.
International Buddhist Confederation
- International Buddhist Confederation is the biggest religious Buddhist confederation, based in Delhi, India.
- The architect of the International Buddhist Confederation is Lama Lobzang.
- This confederation is named as the first organization, which unites Buddhists from the whole world.