Bhai Taru Singh | UPSC | Why In The News ?
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has bowed to Bhai Taru Singh Ji, on the occasion of his 300th birth anniversary.
About Bhai Taru Singh UPSC:
- Bhai Taru Singh (1720 – 1745)
- He was born in 1720 in Amritsar during the reign of Mughal Empire.
- He was engaged in agriculture at Poolha, Tehsil Kasur, in the Lahore district.
- He was a prominent Sikh martyr known for sacrificing his life, in the name of protecting Sikh values, by having had his head scalped rather than cutting his hair and converting to Islam.
Read Also – Bon Bibi UPSC | Sunderbans
- Gurdwara Shaheed Bhai Taru Singh or Gurdwara Shahidi Asthan Bhai Taru Singh ji is a Sikh Gurdwara at Naulakha Bazaar in Lahore, Pakistan, which commemorates the spot where Bhai Taru Singh was martyred.
- He was born in Punjab during the reign of the Mughal Empire.
- It is believed that he died on July 1, 1745 at the age of 25.
- At the spot where he is believed to have been tortured, currently stands the Gurdwara Shaheed Ganj Bhai Taru Singh (Shaheedi Asthan).
- It is believed that Zakariya fell ill and died after apologizing to Taru Singh, who died a few days after being scalped.